Life can be full of uncertainties. For older adults who are feeling less in control of certain parts of life, such as losing physical or cognitive functioning, focusing on exactly what can be controlled is empowering.
A great place to start is by establishing a daily routine, customized to a senior’s specific needs and interests. Keep in mind the senior’s routine is not intended to be designed as a strict schedule that must be adhered to, but merely the basis for structure and predictability. With the older adult's input and direction, settle on a desired framework for each day. A sample day to day routine may look like this:
- Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
- Take care of personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast in the sunroom while listening to favorite music
- Take a walk
- Tackle a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to take to the neighborhood park
- Run an errand
- Take a brief nap or spend some quiet time reading
- Make dinner together and clean up afterwards
- Have a bath
- Watch a movie
- Go to sleep at 10:30 p.m.
Daily routines are helpful for seniors and their caregivers alike, in various ways:
- Routines lower anxiety and stress. Routines are comforting and calming, eliminating the need to wonder and worry about what’s going to occur next, who will be there to help, and how to make certain that everything is going to be taken care of.
- Routines create better sleep. Studies have shown that following a daily routine aids in sleep quality as well as the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Routines allow for quality time with friends and family. Seniors and people who care for them can establish routines that incorporate satisfying time together. Include favorite pastimes, weekly dinner dates at a favorite restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
At Amy’s Helping Hands, our caregiving team is skilled at creating customized care plans and daily schedules in order to make every day the best it can be for seniors and those who love them through a full range of in-home support services, for example:
- Morning wake-up help and support, including personal hygiene and cooking a nourishing breakfast
- Friendly companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with friends and family, medical appointments, etc.
- And many others, according to each individual's particular needs
Reach out to us any time at 519.915.4370 to learn more about our trusted home care in Windsor Ontario and to schedule a complimentary in-home consultation.